Blogging exerts a crucial influence on a firm’s content marketing plan. You can enjoy significantly higher lead growth with a good blogging strategy than your competitors. Blogs serve as the perfect platform to distribute content for building trust. However, writing blogs that pull organic traffic requires much planning and commitment. Many firms make blogging mistakes that ruin their content marketing goals.
If you’ve been struggling to generate leads and traffic through blogs, you may be committing these seven common mistakes. Read on to learn about them so you can rectify them and boost your online visibility.
Blogging Mistakes Businesses Make Unknowingly
Businesses err in various ways while creating blogs. Find out about them below.
1. Writing unappealing content
Business owners usually post blogs with lengthy sentences and paragraphs that are difficult for the reader to absorb. Not only that, small business owners with a small digital marketing team find it more difficult to post blogs in the right style.
As a result, it fails to attract the target audience’s interest. It is essential to make your blog appealing to the reader so they can stay on your website for longer. You can make these changes.
- Write short sentences.
- Divide the text into paragraphs.
- Use subheadings and bullet points.
- Write in a relaxed and conversational tone without coming across as very formal.
- Run the final content through a reliable grammar checker tool.
2. Not optimizing the blog
A blog should follow SEO best practices for the audience to discover it on the web. The content you post should have relevant keywords and answer the queries of your target audience. Often, business owners do not do enough keyword research and the traffic they can get from every keyword.
It is one of the blogging mistakes that prevent them from reaching out and connecting to a wide audience base. Follow these best practices while creating blogs.
- Write catchy headlines with your target keyword.
- The content should be as per the user intent.
- Link internal and external pages to your blog post.
- Optimize the URL of every post.
3. Focusing on quantity instead of quality
It is known that Google rewards websites that regularly post fresh content. However, it also has a negative side for marketers. They tend to publish new articles every single day. Soon enough, they need more resources to sustain this production.
Publishing every day also diminishes content quality, negatively impacting engagement rates. You need to publish. Informative and fresh content regularly. But to gain the maximum from your blogs, focus on quality rather than quantity. Post high-quality, long-form, and well-researched blogs.
- Create a content calendar, defining days of publishing content.
- Research your target audience so you write posts tailored to their interests.
- Don’t throw posts written in a rush on the website every single day.
4. Not focusing on your customer but on yourself
Almost every marketer is guilty of using blogs to advertise their services blatantly. Well-written blogs generate a ton of audience, so marketers get an urge to promote their services more.
However, it is one of the most overlooked blogging mistakes. While it’s perfectly fine to use some self-promotion, using your blog as a medium to run a commercial turns off most readers.
- Instead of pushing your service, reiterate your unique selling points.
- Blogs should inform and educate.
- Include subtle call-to-actions within the text, but ensure they look natural and fit well with the rest of the content.
5. Not leveraging different types of blog content
Diversity is the key to keeping your readers engaged. However, one of the key blogging mistakes marketers and business owners make is posting the same type of content in blogs.
The more varied your content is, the better will be the engagement rate. So, include videos, photos, and infographics in them. Here are some types of blog content businesses can leverage.
- How-to guides
- Video tutorials
- Case studies
6. Targeting the wrong blogs while guest blogging
Guest blogging offers a variety of SEO benefits. However, it is a challenging feat. One of the prominent guest blogging mistakes is not identifying the right blogs.
Finding the right blogs require sufficient research. Otherwise, your guest blogs will do nothing to improve your search engine rankings. Follow these points to target the correct blogs.
- Create content around your target keywords and find blogs that cover those topics.
- Do sufficient research for the keywords to find blogs you can target.
- The guest blogs you target must have an audience interested in exploring your services.
7. Not monitoring the blog’s performance
You are not publishing blogs just for the sake of it. They should serve as a medium to drive qualified traffic. So, simply publishing blogs without assessing their performance will not give you the desired results.
Many analytics tools are available, allowing the identification of the strengths and weaknesses of a blog. These tools will help keep your content updated. Keeping the blog fresh will make it draw leads consistently.
- Schedule a time to review all blogs and ensure they are up-to-date.
- Use Google Analytics to find the most engaging articles on your website.
- Find what makes these articles successful.
Fix Blogging Mistakes and Gain More Traffic!
By now, you must be familiar with what you need to avoid to reap the most benefits from your blogging strategy. Considering that blogs are a potent marketing tool, it makes sense to take out time and optimize them correctly. It will go a long way in helping you boost your business awareness. For more information about blogging, you may visit our blogging course website.